Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Leathered and Laced.

Stitching on the leathers on a Friday evening after dinner was a pleasant way to spend some quite time.
leathers laced on.  Note the extra lace
left on until they settle in for a time, in case they need to be tightened.
 I cut 2- 6" by 5" pieces of leather from a big piece (like an entire hide) I bought years ago when I found a good buy on it at some shop, for just such purposes.  I wet them down and then temporarily attached them to the oars with plastic tie wraps so that I could do the final trim marking, making sure to mark the orientation and which oar they were intended for.  I marked them on the inside with ink pen.

I used tarred marlin doubled for the stitching, pre-drilling holes every half inch on each side.  I tried to keep as most of the lacing under the leather to protect it from chafe.  I guess I ended up with half under, half out.
I had to re lace the first one to make it match the 2nd and the better pattern.
 It took me about of week to get these done.  Not very long and much less in actual time spent working on them.  But the time was enjoyable.  Shaping the oars was a lot of fun.  Now having custom made oars that just fit their purpose is very rewarding.  I am especially happy about them having paint that matches the boat they are for, that they are made from reclaimed wood, shop scrap, limited power tools (I used the table saw to rip the lengths of wood, and the belt sander for a few short moments before the belt broke, took that for a sign!) and mostly they were shaped by planes and a spokeshave.  The dimensions are all my own on research I did by looking thru every book I owned and magazines and the internet.
custom made oars, finished.
Over all, a fun project that has removed my fear or doubts about my ability for success.  I am more inclined to build a set for the skiff now and a sculling oar for the Bristol and..............!

No comments:

Post a Comment