Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

Gunwales!!

I got the inwales on and now I am working on the gunwales.
clamps, lots of clamps.  It seems the boat will turn out to be 7'6" length over all.
 Making things work with what's put in front of me, I have decided that the width of the gunwales will be what the stock I have is, minus the width of the table saw blade.  I cut the outwale down to 1/2 inch, so as to make it bendable, and that left 3/8ths for the inwale.
I can only glue up a side at a time as I need more clamps
I haven't used any fasteners on the gunwale, just glue  I may add fasteners from the inside eventually.
the bow transom is glued in and waits for finish trimming down to size. The large block of wood at the top is to accommodate a cleat or painter.
The internal chines ended up being not so tight a fit, as in, I didn't do a very good job with them.  I was in a weird mood the day I had the glue in my hand.  I should have walked away and come back another time.  But, I think it will all work out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment