Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Goop & Glass

The warm spell has allowed me to do the fiberglassing of the bottom.  It was such a nice day out, what a shame to spend it spreading out this goop, but then, we are one step closer to being out rowing on nice days like this.

6oz. glass clothe and a layer of glass tape on the chine.
 So, I got the fiberglass from Duckworks and I have plenty left over.  The advantage to the temps being so cool is that the epoxy doesn't kick to soon, a longer working time.
bottom and chines "armored".
Once I laid out the clothe and cut it to size, plus a few inches, I rolled it up and I spread a coat of epoxy on the bare wood of the bottom.  Then I rolled the clothe back out over the bottom and smoothed it out, wet it out with more epoxy being sure to get all the glass saturated, but no more than that.
I was working fast, as most of my experience working with epoxy has been in warmer weather and time is usually an issue.  Once I got to the added layer of tape for the chine I realized that I had time to make sure that everything was as it should be.
The one thing that is yet to be done is the trimming of the extra glass.  Usually I'd do this when the epoxy is half kicked, firm but workable.  That may not happen until much later tonight, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment