Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

limber holes and glueing

I should take this moment to say that so far I have purchased 4 sheets of plywood.  Thats $52 dollars of wood.  All the other wood I have used on the boat has been reclaimed.  I found a 2"x6"x15' board (pine by the smell of it when I cut it) on the river which made the chines and gunwales.  I picked up some crating from a construction site (yellow pine so it seems) that is being used for all the framing.  I got some cedar decking from a neighbor which has become the floors and thwarts.  I have yet to make the thole pins for rowing and some cleats, but I feel confident that I have those pieces of wood lying around somewhere.  I also have yet to build the skeg and skids for the bottom.  We'll see where those come from.



Today I took all the ribs out and routed out limber holes for water to drain thru.  Each rib got 3 holes.
 I used a 1/2 round router bit.  That worked pretty well.
Once I got all the routing done I reattached all the ribs as well as did the final fastening of the frames in the bow.
ribs and framing for the floors.  Note that the orientation of the ribs.  This is because they are only for supporting the risers for the thwarts and the frames for the floors.  They have little to do with preserving the shape of the hull.

I also glued in a inner false keel, of a sorts, in the aft compartment.  This is to give some support to the skeg I hope to attach.  I used the same plywood so that the thickness is double where the skeg will be.

Big iron weight (about 50lbs.) to hold down wood while glueing.

No comments:

Post a Comment