Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Bow and stern

I cut enough of the cable wraps in order to lay the sides down flat so that I could trim of the excess at the bow and stern.
The real shape comes out.  The side panels are rectangles and flaring them out at the bow and stern gives the rocker to the bottom as well as the increased beam at the gunwale.
I also trimmed the brace at midships so that the beam is now at 3' even.  Because it sat overnight with the beam at 3'2" the boat is finding it's shape more easily.

Like a dory, I am using a "tombstone" transom, but I am also using it the pram bow.  The thin 5.2mm plywood bends in multiple planes, something plywood in not known for.
Although I have now done half the job if I was going to use the "stitch and glue" method, I am not sure that that is the way I am going to go.
Because I had the cable wraps lying around the garage, the boat, thus far has cost only $14.00.  If I use epoxy the price instantly will triple.  If I use glue and scrap wood and scrap nails, then the price only doubles.  Not that the price is the driving force here, but I also like the low tech method of nails and glue.
The hesitation is in getting the bevels for the chine log. Maybe it is time to read up some more on building methods........
Speaking of reading, I am rereading "My Old Man and the Sea" by David and Daniel Hayes.  The book is about a father and son who buy the hull of a Vertue class 25 footer and then fit it out and sail it down to and around Cape Horn, from New England.  It is a really great story, well written, fun and adventuresome during the winter months here.

What will this boat be named???  I guess it's shape is a pram.  Maybe I will call it "Sam the Pram" I am,  and I don't like green eggs and ham.  How about Spram, for small pram?  Or just Spam....spam, spam, spam, spam.......

No comments:

Post a Comment