Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

It's a boat!


With the gunwales on and the bow and stern trimmed to size the final lines of the boat can be seen and I am pretty happy with it so far.  The real test will be when it gets wet and I try to row and paddle it.

gunwales on! outboard trim on transoms gluing up.
I still have to put in the cross braces, one aft and one forward.  I think they will help stiffen the hull sides as well as make carrying the boat a bit easier, like a canoe.  Although I have planned to put in a fore and aft running thwart, I am considering one position for rowing, that would run across the boat.


Now the pram shape is easy to see.
It would be a removable thwart on a set of cleats glued to the sides.  I could make it go forward of the midship rib frame for traditional rowing or go aft of the frame for a paddling position.  I think the 2 different positions would help trim the boat.

The one permanent frame is in place but not fastened yet.
Over all I am pleased with the shape and size of the boat, considering it is a "one sheet" of plywood boat.  I am a bit confused as to why none of the boats I found while researching this idea had any kind of shape with rocker or flare and most just looked like open boxes.   There was one guy from Austria who did amazing boats with one sheet, multi-chined, and very well constructed.  I think he used a cad program to get the most out of the one sheet and he did have to scarf some pieces together, something I wanted to avoid for some reason.

Quite a bit of rocker.  Can't wait to see how it will work on the water!
One bonus that I will have if this boat works very well at all is that it is the right size to work as a tender for my 27 foot cruising sailboat and be stored on deck and not block up the path to work on sails.  That would be really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment