Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Taking shape


Getting the transom to the right shape was a little interesting.  I cut the side pieces long and wide then put the bevel on the sides to measurements.  I then attached them and the bottom piece and cut the length wise bevel all at one pass.  After that I attached the top piece.

cutting bottom bevel on transom.
I ended up with a very nicely put together piece, even if temporary.  I will take it apart and glue it all up and re-fasten it.



transom with bevels.
The tragic thing is that I measured the height wrong and the transom is 1 inch to tall!  Better than to short though.
1inch to tall transom.
You can see the centerline mark on the table that I use to line up
the stations so that it will sit in true shape
until I get back to work on it.
I decided to go ahead and attach the stations.  I hadn't marked the lines for them on the outside, so I did that first then managed to screw the stations in place.
A boat shape begins
The bow is the hardest part to get together.  I am thinking of adding an external stem.

stem temporarily attached.  Cut long and will be trimmed later.
I think I want it to stand proud and put a painter thru it.
I had some long strips of pine that are 1"x3/4" and I clamped them on just to see how the hull would line up and what the lines looked like.  I need to buy more clamps!
temporary chines clamped on.
I like the lines of the boat now that I can see them.  I was afraid it might be to boxy looking but it really isn't.  It kind of looks lean and as if it will row quite well.

I have yet to mill the chines and the gunwales.  During a row on the river last week I found a 2x6 that I towed home for some reason.  Today I measured it and it is 15' long.  I will try to mill it to get at least some of the pieces I need from it.
Found wood 15'x6"x2" that will become the chines and hopefully
the gunwales.  For now it's a bench for a dog.
It is a pretty good feeling to see the shape of the boat up there on the stands.  I have to leave it for a few days but that is probably best anyway.
I am still undecided about getting thicker plywood for the bottom.  I'm worried about stepping thru the thinner stuff.
The scarfs seem to be pretty strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment