Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Learning to adapt


In order to do two things I had to make some changes to the transom.  First I had to deal with the mistake I made in measuring the side panels 7/8" to small.  The second thing was to put some camber into the deck that I want to add to the after part of the boat as I had noticed in a the picture I saw of a QT skiff that had been modified for sail.
This skiff seems to have a slight camber to the aft deck!
I took the new angle off the top of the transom where it was not taller than the side and then took the transom back off the boat.
I then took a batten and drew a fair curve from the highest point of the transom, on it's center line and then out to the marked new edge where it needed to be reduced to meet up with the side.
Then I drew a line on the inside face of the transom frame that would make the new angle where the deck would meet the side and the transom.
Then I worked the transom down to the new shape using two different methods for the sake of learning and practice.
 working new shape for transom
The first method I used was to cut down to the line with a lot of small saw cuts.  Then chip out the cuts and, or, cut horizontally each little chip with the saw, starting from the outer edge.
The second method, and the better one to use was to just plan down the new shape, first with a jack plane then a smaller block plane, and around the few knots using the sureform and a saw.

In the end the planed side came out much nicer and the sawed side was kind of rough as some of the chips went a bit to deep beyond the new line.
Over all it was a good bit of learning.
I also cut a false stem to improve the blunt bow, in my opinion.

I found these on the web the other day.  Very nice looking boat!
A bit long for me, but.....It had two swinging keels, one under each sail.

I think it was called "Egret" and don't know
if that is the name of the boat or design.

No comments:

Post a Comment