Friday, July 25, 2014
Today I cut down the sprit yard, got the mainsail set up for stitching, and installed a "keeper" for the rudder, to keep it from floating out of it's gudgeons. I made the rudder lock, I guess I could call it, out of some yellow pine and a bronze screw. It is a teardrop shape and hangs from the transom just above the upper pintle. It can be swung out of the way so that the rudder can be placed or removed but hangs in a way to keep it in place the rest of the time. Simple. I may start stitching up the sail tonight, shouldn't take long to do the seam but the patches and attachment points still have to be worked out.